The guitar had a broken headstock (the bit at the end of the neck with the tuning pegs on, for those of you who don't know the first thing about guitars). That meant it would need a new neck. So.... Ebay. The body was bright red and spattered with scratches and dings. Easy, I thought. I'll give it a quick sand down and paint something fancy on it. Give me a couple of weeks.
Oh, did I mention this was over 10 years ago.
I'm sure we all have these types of projects. The 'I'll sort that thingymabob out one day' kind of projects. Maybe it's a creative endeavour (like my guitar), or some DIY or desire to learn something new. I know, I've been meaning to fix my back gate. It's been hanging off for years now. This guitar was like that. It hung around my studio for years, always being superseded by the latest idea. Gathering dust. Half finished.
Anyway, now its done! I was a little constrained in my design, due to the fact that when I sanded it down (a horrendous task, NEVER do it), I discovered it was made of plywood! The top and bottom looked great, but the sides looked like, well..... plywood. Hence, the dark sky around the edges. I'm particularly pleased with the plastic scratch-guard, which I made myself out of acrylic (another horrendous task, NEVER do it) and engraved by hand with 50's style lettering to match the pin up theme.
Now all I need is another friend to give me another beaten up old guitar. Then we can see what can be created in the next ten years.